Did you know? The City will complete its first Fewson Fund project next spring. The Fewson Fund is being used for a portion of the Route 9 Downtown Entryway project that will add signage, lighting, and landscaping to beautify the entrance to downtown.
The Fewson Fund was established by the trust of Parkville resident George W. Fewson. Mr. Fewson was born in 1932 and lived in a home at 7th and Main St. for most of his life. He had family connections in Platte County dating back to the 1880s. He graduated from Park Hill High School in 1950 and left Parkville to complete a tour of duty for the Army. Later he graduated from Park College and became an accountant. He was never married, and when he died in 2001 he had no living family.
Mr. Fewson left a portion of his estate in trust to the City of Parkville. Today the value of the Fewson Fund is over $550,000. The trust stipulates that one-half of the earnings from the Fewson Fund are to be distributed to the City for “general projects of the City.” The Board of Aldermen adopted a policy to further define the eligibility requirements for Fewson funding.
The Parkville Board of Aldermen adopted a new logo for the Fewson Fund at the last board meeting (pictured below). The logo will be placed on Fewson Fund projects.