Building Safety
City Clerk
Code Enforcement
Floodplain Management
Parks & Recreation
Public Works


1. What codes are adopted by the City of Parkville?

2006 International Residential Code
2006 International Building Code
2006 International Plumbing Code
2006 International Mechanical Code
2006 International Fuel Gas Code
2006 International Fire Code
2005 National Electrical Code
1997 Uniform Administrative Code

2. What type of construction projects are building permits required for?

No building or structure shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, demolished, moved, improved, removed or converted unless a permit has been obtained from the Division of Building Safety.
The following items require a building permit.
1. New residential or commercial buildings.
2. Residential building additions (living rooms, garages, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, family room, etc.).
3. Commercial building additions or alterations for tenants.
4. Residential work or alterations (decks, garages, fences, fireplaces, swimming pools, remodel projects, etc.).
5. Residential renovations (garage conversions, basement finish, kitchen and bathroom expansions, re-roofing, etc.).
6. Convert or replace any electrical systems.
7. Plumbing systems (drains, waste, vents, water and water heaters).
8. HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems.
9. Driveway approaches (concrete or asphalt).
10. Any work regulated by the adopted building code.

3. When are permits not required?

Exemption from the permit requirements shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of the adopted codes or any other laws or ordinances of the City of Parkville.
Permits shall not be required for the following:

1. One-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
2. Fences not over 6 feet high.
3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the top of the footing to the top of the wall.
4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
5. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work.
6. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
7. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.


A permit shall not be required for minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

1. Portable heating, cooking, or residential clothes drying appliances.
2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make equipment unsafe.

1. Portable heating appliances.
2. Portable ventilation appliances.
3. Portable cooling units.
4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by the approved codes.
5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or
make such equipment unsafe.
6. Portable evaporative cooler.

1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, waste or vent piping. Provided that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided by the adopted codes.
2. The clearance of stoppages or the repair of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and re-installation of water closets (toilets), provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

4. How do I obtain a building permit?

In order to obtain a building permit, the Division of Building Safety must review the building plans and the site plan for building code and zoning regulations and all applicable fees must be paid. You can receive assistance by contacting the Community Development Department at 816-741-7676.

5. How are permit fees calculated?

The City of Parkville permit fees are based on the valuation of the project. The fees are calculated from the fee table schedules in the adopted 2006 International Residential Code and the 1997 Uniform Administrative Code.

6. How do I acquire a temporary occupancy permit?

A temporary occupancy can be issued when approved by the Building Official for 30 days provided all life safety items are complete. All exterior items are required to be complete within the thirty-day period. Extensions of the temporary occupancy permit for exterior items, due to weather conditions, may be granted following a written request. There is a $50 fee for a temporary occupancy. A $50 fee will charged for each additional extension.

7. Can I construct a detached storage building or garage?

Yes. In most residential zoning districts detached accessory buildings are permissible provided they fully comply with City of Parkville building codes and minimum set back requirements for the zoning district they are located in. Zoning regulations may be obtained by contacting the Community Development Department at 816-741-7676.

8. Are building permits required for private decks?

Permits are required for decks that are over 30” (inches) above grade. In order to apply for a deck permit, one must fill out a building permit application as well as submit a plot plan and a set of building plans.


1. How do I request a copy of a public record document? Is there a fee?

Complete a Public Records Request form and then fax or deliver it to City Hall. There is a copy fee of $0.10 per page, and a research fee may also apply. See the details of the form for more information.

2. What are the regular dates and times of the Parkville Board of Aldermen meetings?

Regularly scheduled Board of Aldermen meetings fall on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 pm in the Boardroom at City Hall.

Any Work Sessions or Special Meetings will be posted with the Board Meeting Agendas on the website and in the front window of City Hall.


1. What are some of the responsibilities of the occupant?

Every occupant of a dwelling, in addition to being responsible for keeping that part of the building or premises which he occupies and controls, clean, sanitary, and in a safe condition, shall dispose of all his rubbish, garbage, and other organic waste in an approved manner.

2. If the paint is peeling on my house is that a violation?

Yes, the exterior structural condition of the house must be maintained in good repair. This includes, but is not limited, to paint, gutters, downspouts, roof materials, porches and decks.

3. Does the city provide trash pick up or any special clean up days?

The city does not provide regular trash service. You, or in some cases your homeowners association, must arrange for this. The City does sponsor spring and fall clean up. During these weekends city residents may bring miscellaneous trash and yard waste to a drop off site. Please check the website or contact the City of Parkville (816) 741-7676 for dates and a list of items accepted.

4. What do I do if someone dumps trash or debris on my property?

Contact the City of Parkville Police Department and file a report for littering. Ultimately you are responsible for maintaining your property and cleaning up the mess.

5. How high can I let my grass grow?

Grass, weeds and other rank vegetation may not be higher than twelve (12) inches.

6. Do I have to mow the grass between the sidewalk or property line and the street?

Yes, the property owner is responsible for maintaining the right-of-away in front of their property.

7. Can I park an unlicensed car or boat in my driveway?

No, however, the unlicensed motor vehicle or watercraft may be parked or stored on the property in an enclosed garage in a residential district.

8. Can I park commercial or construction equipment in my driveway?

No, any motor vehicle designed for carrying freight, merchandise or other property or more than eight (8) passengers and that is licensed in excess of 1 ton is prohibited from parking in a residential zone. (Exception: recreational vehicles) Construction equipment may not be stored in any zoning district except industrial unless the equipment is stored in an enclosed garage.

9. If my neighbor has a code violation how can I file a complaint?

Call the Code Enforcement Division of the Community Development Department at (816) 741-9313. Please give the address and complete description of the violations.

10. Is my call anonymous?

You only need to give your name if you would like a call back on the status of the inspection or if you are willing to give us permission to inspect the violation from your property.

11. How will I be notified if I have a code violation?

An inspector will notify you personally if you are at home. If you are not at home a hangtag will be left on your door describing the violations and how much time you will have to abate. A formal Notice of Violation letter will then be mailed to you.

12. What will happen if I don’t correct the violation?

A summons to Parkville municipal court will be issued. Penalties can be fines up to five hundred dollars ($500.00), up to ninety days (90) imprisonment, or both for each offense. Every day the condition exists can be a new violation.


1. Where are you located?

8880 Clark Avenue
Parkville, MO 64152

A quarter mile south of 9 and 45 Highway, next to the Platte County YMCA Community Center.

2. What time is court?

There are two sessions. The Probation and Plea Docket begins at 4:30 pm, while the Regular Docket begins at 5:30 pm.

3. How many points go on my record when I get a ticket?

Visit MDOR Points System for information on how many points certain tickets are worth. MDOR Points System


1. Where do I learn about my tax assessments against my property?

City real estate and personal property taxes are billed with county taxes on one bill from Platte County.

Please contact the County Assessor’s Office at (816) 858-2232 for more information about taxes.


1. What is the 100-year floodplain?

The 100-year floodplain is defined as the area that would be covered by floodwater during a 100-year storm event. In stormwater managements, floods are classified by statistical probability of occurrence. When we speak of a 100-year flood, we are referring to a flood event that has a one percent chance of occurring in any given year. The magnitude of a 100-year flood is determined from historical data and precipitation patterns within the watershed.
Floodplain boundaries vary along a channel depending on such factors as topography, soils and vegetation, the size of the watershed and the condition of the channel. These boundaries may also change over time as the watershed is developed or the channel is altered. In addition, the floodplain may be redefined as new or revised statistical data becomes available.

2. What is a floodway? What does it mean when homes or land are in the floodway?

A floodway is the area of the floodplain that should be kept free of obstructions to allow floodwaters to move downstream. Rivers and streams where FEMA has prepared detailed engineering studies may also have designated floodways. For most rivers and streams, the floodway is where the water is likely to be the deepest and fastest. Placing fill or buildings in a floodway may block the flow of water and increase flood heights. Because of this, your community will require that you submit engineering analyses before it approves permits for development in the floodway.
If your home or other structure is already in the floodway, you may want to consider what you will do if it is damaged. If the structure is substantially damaged (the costs to repair equal or exceed 50 percent of the market value of the building) your community will require that you bring it into compliance. In most cases, this means you will have to elevate it above the base flood elevation. Because placing fill dirt in the floodplain can make flooding worse, you’ll probably have to elevate the structure on columns, pilings or raised foundation walls. If your land is large enough to have a home site outside of the floodway or even out of the floodplain, you may want to think about moving your home to a safer location.

3. What do I need to know if my building is in the floodplain?

Buildings in special flood hazard areas shown on FIRMs may be damaged when flooding occurs. Some buildings flood frequently, while others get damaged by only the more severe events.
If your home is in the 100-year (one percent annual chance) floodplain, it has a 26 percent chance of getting flooded over a 30-year period. It is approximately five times more likely to be damaged by flood than by a severe fire.
You should know that usually you could get flood insurance, if available, by contacting your regular homeowner’s insurance agent. FEMA and the Flood Control District recommend that everyone in special flood hazard areas buy flood insurance. If you buy a home or refinance your home, your mortgage lender or banker may require flood insurance. Even if not required, however, it is good investments especially in areas that flood frequently or where flood forces are likely to cause major damage.
You should also know that your community might require permits for remodeling, improving, expanding or rebuilding your home or other structure. In order to reduce long-term flood damage, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requires that buildings that are substantially improved or substantially damaged become compliant. This means if the cost of the improvements or repairs is more than 50 percent of the market value of the building, you will have to make it compliant with the rules for floodplain construction. Usually, this means lifting it off the foundation and elevating it above the predicted flood level. If you carry a flood insurance policy and have major flood damage, you may be eligible for up to $20,000 to help pay for the cost of this work.

4. Can floodway or floodplain boundaries be changed?

Under current Floodplain Regulations, the channel and/or adjacent lands may be modified to reduce the water surface elevation during a 100-year flood, thus narrowing the floodway boundaries.

5. What is fill and how does it affect the floodplain?

For the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), fill refers to soil that is brought in to raise the level of the ground. Depending on where the soil is placed, fill may change the flow of water or increase flood elevations. Fill may be used to elevate a building to meet the NFIP requirements. Sometimes fill is combined with other methods of elevation such as pilings or foundation walls. Placement of fill requires a Floodplain Use Permit.

6. (FIRM) shows that my lot is in the mapped floodplain, but my house sits on higher ground. I believe I shouldn’t be shown in the floodplain. What are FEMA’s requirements?

To be removed from the floodplain shown on the FIRM, a structure must be on land that is not subject to flooding by a 100-year flood. Remember, more severe floods can and do happen, so even if your home is found to be on high ground, it may still be damaged by an extreme flood event.
If your lot or building site is on natural ground that is higher than the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) shown on the FIRM, then you may request a Letter of Mp Amendment (LOMA). To support your request, you will need to have a land surveyor determine the elevation of the ground next to your building and complete an Elevation Certificate. If the ground is higher than the BFE, then FEMA will issue a LOMA. With a LOMA, your lender may choose to not require flood insurance.
If your home was built on fill that was placed after the FIRM was prepared, you may request a Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F). As with a LOMA, an Elevation Certificate will need to be completed by a land surveyor. If the filled ground is higher than the BFE, and if you do not have a basement, then FEMA may issue a LOMR-F and your lender may choose to not require flood insurance.

7. How do I get a revision to the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)?

A revision to the FIRM may be requested by completing and submitting the appropriate portions of the application/certification forms package titled “Revisions to National Flood Insurance Program Maps” (FEMA Form 81-89 Series), and the required supporting information. Click on the links below for the respective FEMA application forms:

8. Where should I send my map revision request?

Revision requests should be sent to the appropriate FEMA regional office.

9. Do I need to submit a fee with my map revision request?

In most cases, yes. To ensure full reimbursement of funds expended to review and process most map change requests, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) established a standard fee schedule. The fee schedule is published periodically in the Federal Register and appears in the application/certification forms package.

10. How long does it take to get a map revision?

FEMA typically responds in less than 30 days, and must respond to a revision request within 90 days of receipt of the application/certification forms and the supporting information. The response may be a determination, a request for additional information, or a statement that additional time will be required to complete the processing of the request.

11. How can I expedite my request?

Because FEMA receives many requests; they are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. The best way to get a timely response is to make sure the forms and supporting information are complete.

12. When should I request a conditional map revision?

FEMA’s review and comment on a project that is proposed within the Special Flood Hazard Area is referred to as a Conditional Letter of Map Revision (CLOMR). A CLOMR comments on whether the proposed project meets the minimum floodplain management criteria of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and, if so, what revisions will be made to the community’s NFIP map if the project is completed as proposed.
There are only two situations where NFIP regulations require a CLOMR to be obtained from FEMA before a project can be built. The first is for a project on a stream or river that has been studied through detailed hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, and for which base flood elevations have been specified, but a floodway has not been designated. If the community proposes to allow development that would result in more than a one-foot increase in the base flood elevation, a CLOMR must first be obtained.
The second situation requiring a CLOMR is for a project on a stream or river for which detailed analyses have been conducted, and base flood elevations and a floodway have been designated. If the community proposes to allow development totally or partially within the floodway that would result in any (greater than a zero) increase in the base flood elevation, a CLOMR must be obtained.
Although the two situations described above are the only requirements to obtain a CLOMR prior to permitting development, FEMA will review and comment and, if appropriate, issue a CLOMR for any proposed project when requested by a participating community. All requests for CLOMRs must be supported by detailed flood hazard analyses prepared by a qualified professional engineer. The specific data and documentation requirements are contained in Part 65 of the NFIP regulations and in FEMA’s application/certification forms (MT-2). To defray costs to NFIP policyholders, FEMA charges fees to recover review costs. Specific information on the fee schedule and exemption requirements is contained in the MT-2 forms.

13. Which elevation datum do I use?

Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) reference the elevation datum used to compute flood elevations. In completing elevation certificates, the same elevation datum as that shown on the FIRM must be used to compute lot and/or structure elevations, and to compute flood elevations that are not given on the FIRM.

14. Who can prepare an Elevation Certificate?

Elevation Certificates must be prepared and certified by a land surveyor, engineer or architect who is authorized by state or local law to certify elevation information. The Flood Control District may also sign the certificate.

15. Why did I receive a Letter of Map Revision and not a Physical Map Revision?

A Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) is a much quicker revision than a Physical Map Revision (PMR). PMRs can take up to two years to become effective. In addition, a LOMR is a more cost-effective means for FEMA to revise a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). Due to budget constraints, FEMA uses the LOMR process as much as possible. You should keep a copy of the LOMR with your valuable papers. It will be important to have when you are ready to sell your property.

16. Why wasn’t my Letter of Map Change incorporated into the panel revision?

When a new National Flood Insurance Program map becomes effective it supersedes all Letters of Map Change (LOMCs) that have been issued for the affected map panel. When the changes reflected in the LOMC can be shown on the new FIRM, they are incorporated; however, some LOMC changes cannot be shown on the new FIRM because the change is too small to see on the map.
FEMA is in the process of developing procedures to automatically revalidate the LOMCs that were not incorporated.

17. Will flood insurance rates be reduced when a flood control project is partially completed?

The answer to this question depends on whether the flood control project provides an adequate level of protection and if it involves federal funding. If the project is federally funded, then FEMA will revise the FIRM to show changes in the floodplain if the critical features of the project are under construction, 50 percent of the total cost has been expended, and 100 percent of the funding is authorized. When the FIRM is revised, the protected area will be designated Zone A99, and the flood insurance rate will be the same as in Zones B, C and X.
If a flood control project does not involve federal funds, FEMA would handle a map revision request as a Conditional Letter of Map Revision. The project sponsor must submit engineering and technical information to document the level of protection, how the floodplain is modified, the structural adequacy of the project, and operations and maintenance requirements. The FIRM would be changed after the project is complete and “as-built” plans have been certified and submitted to FEMA. At that time, the flood insurance rate in areas certified as protected would be the same as in Zones B, C and X.

18. What is required to certify a levee as providing protection from the base flood?

In order for FEMA to recognize a levee system as providing protection from the base 100-year (one percent annual chance) flood, it must meet, and continue to meet minimum design, operation and maintenance standards established in Section 65.10 of the NFIP Regulations. The design criteria include, but may not be limited to, requirements for freeboard, closure devices, embankment protection, embankment and foundation stability, settlement and interior drainage. Public agencies must have complete operation and maintenance plans. The operation plan for the levee may include, but is not limited to, procedures for closures, interior drainage systems and emergency measures. The maintenance plan should detail responsibility and frequency of maintenance necessary to ensure the integrity of the levee system. All items necessary for a levee system to be recognized as providing protection from the one percent annual chance flood must be certified by a registered professional engineer. The certification requirement is different if a federal agency has responsibility for the levee.


1. How do I reserve a shelter?

Fill out the Shelter Reservation Permit and bring it into City Hall. No reservations will be accepted until payment is presented at City Hall. No reservations accepted by mail. For more information including pricing, please see the Parks & Recreation Department page under the heading Shelter & Stage Reservations. Click here to see what dates and times have already been reserved.

2. How do I reserve a baseball field, volleyball court, or soccer field for practice time or games?

Fill out the Sports Field Reservation Permit and bring it to City Hall. No reservations will be accepted until payment is presented at City Hall. No reservations accepted by mail. For more information including pricing, please see the Parks & Recreation Department page under the heading Sports Field Reservations. Contact the Parks Superintendent Tom Barnard at (816) 587-2593 with any questions.

3. Are there any shelters that I can use for free?

Yes. We have two small shelters that may be used on a first come, first serve basis. One shelter is located at Watkins Park and the other is at Adams Park. These shelters cannot be reserved in advance.


1. Where do I dispose of my yard waste?

Parkville participates in a program with the City of Gladstone for yard waste.  See brochure for more information.

2. Whom should I contact when my grinder pump is not working?

Riss Lake residents should call the homeowners’ association.

3. Do I need a permit to install a dog fence or sprinkler system near the street?

Yes, depending on the location. All sprinkler systems and dog fences are installed at-risk within the right of way.