The Parkville Nature Sanctuary is a wildlife preserve and educational site developed and maintained the City of Parkville with the help of a group of extraordinary volunteers. The Parkville Nature Sanctuary is a 115 acre natural outdoor area made accessible by nearly three miles of hiking trails. Daily operations of the Parkville Nature Sanctuary are overseen by a part-time Director. E-mail Director Joe Ryan with questions about the Parkville Nature Sanctuary.
The main entrance of the Parkville Nature Sanctuary is at 12th Street off Highway 9, down the hill from the Platte County Health Department.
- Open every day, sunrise to sunset
- NO dogs or other pets allowed on the trails
- Stay on trails
- Put trash in proper receptacles
- No unauthorized vehicles (including bicycles, skateboards, etc.)
- No fires
- No hunting, fishing, or trapping
- No picking, collecting, or digging
- No firearms
- No camping
- No weddings
The Shelter (known as the Girl Scout Cabin) can be reserved in three-hour increments in the Nature Sanctuary. There are no utilities available at the shelter and all nature sanctuary rules must be followed. Shelters can be reserved by completing the Shelter Reservation Permit below and emailing it to Nature Sanctuary Director Joe Ryan.
2018 Upcoming Events
- Ongoing through 2018: There is a monthly amateur photo contest for images taken at the Sanctuary FLYER
- Thursday, October 25: Pumpkin Carving for Ghost Stories Night (6-8pm)
- Saturday, October 27: Ghost Stories Night (6:30pm-9pm)
- Saturday, December 1: Trek with Santa for families with children under 8 years old (1pm-3pm)
Robert Fluchel Memorial Butterfly Garden Commemorative Bricks
Friends of Parkville Nature Sanctuary is selling commemorative bricks that will be placed around the Robert Fluchel Memorial Butterfly Garden at the entrance to the sanctuary. Phase 2 of the fundraising project ends August 31st.
Application (PDF link)
Checks may be made out to the Parkville Nature Sanctuary and can dropped off or mailed to Parkville City Hall. City Hall is located at 8880 Clark Avenue, Parkville, MO, 64152. All donations are tax deductible.
Click to here to make a donation via credit card. Please note that this link will take you to an external payment processing page. All donations are tax deductible.
2018 Volunteer Work Day Opportunities
If you are interested in participating in a volunteer work day (9am-noon), meet at the Parkville Nature Sanctuary parking lot at 9:00 a.m. on these dates:
- Saturday, July 7: Stream Team #907 monitoring
- Saturday, August 11: Butterfly garden, trails
- Saturday, September 15: Stream Team #907 monitoring
- Thursday, October 25: Pumpkin Carving at English Landing Park (6-8pm)
- Saturday, October 27: Ghost Stories set-up (8am-3pm)
- Sunday, October 28: Ghost Stories clean-up (8am-11am)
Just show up! A volunteer waiver will need to be signed on site!
If you are a Scout and are looking to complete an Eagle Scout Service Project please contact Parkville City Hall at (816) 741-7676 or e-mail Joe Ryan.
Volunteer Board Meeting Schedule
Volunteer Board Meetings are held the 4th Tuesday of the Month at 7:00 pm on the lower level of Parkville City Hall, unless otherwise specified.
|August 28||November 27|