The Parkville Nature Sanctuary is a wildlife preserve and educational site developed and maintained the City of Parkville with the help of a group of extraordinary volunteers. The Parkville Nature Sanctuary is a 115 acre natural outdoor area made accessible by nearly three miles of hiking trails. Daily operations of the Parkville Nature Sanctuary are overseen by a part-time Director. Call Nature Sanctuary Director Joe Ryan at (816) 741-7676 with questions about the Parkville Nature Sanctuary.
The main entrance of the Parkville Nature Sanctuary is at 12th Street off Highway 9, down the hill from the Platte County Health Department.
- Open every day, sunrise to sunset
- NO dogs or other pets allowed on the trails
- Stay on trails
- Put trash in proper receptacles
- No unauthorized vehicles (including bicycles, skateboards, etc.)
- No fires
- No hunting, fishing, or trapping
- No picking, collecting, or digging
- No firearms
- No camping
- No weddings
The Shelter (known as the Girl Scout Cabin) can be reserved in three-hour increments in the Nature Sanctuary. There is no vehicle access nor utilities available at the shelter. All nature sanctuary rules must be followed. Shelters can be reserved by completing the Shelter Reservation Permit below and emailing it to Nature Sanctuary Director Joe Ryan.
- June 12-14, 2019; 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Nature Camp for 8-10 year olds FLYER
- September 14, 2019; 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: BioBlitz and Stream Team Monitoring FLYER
- October 24, 2019; 6 p.m. – Pumpkin Carving for Ghost Stories FLYER
- October 26, 2019; 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Ghost Stories Night FLYER
- Note: On October 26th, all trails at the nature sanctuary will be closed to hikers beginning at 8 a.m. to get ready for Ghost Stories that evening.
- December 7, 2019; 1 p.m – 3 p.m.: Trek with Santa FLYER
Checks may be made out to the Parkville Nature Sanctuary and can dropped off or mailed to Parkville City Hall. City Hall is located at 8880 Clark Avenue, Parkville, MO, 64152. All donations are tax deductible.
Click to here to make a donation via credit card. Please note that this link will take you to an external payment processing page. All donations are tax deductible.
2019 Volunteer Work Day Opportunities
If you are interested in participating in a volunteer work day from 9 a.m. to noon on the dates below, please contact Joe Ryan in advance by Thursday of that week.
- Saturday, March 9: Butterfly and trailhead gardens; trails
- Saturday, April 6: Stream Team #907 Monitoring
- Saturday, May 4: Exotics; trails; butterfly and trailhead gardens
- Saturday, July 6: Stream Team #907 Monitoring
- Saturday, August 10: Trails, butterfly and trailhead gardens
- Saturday, September 14: Stream Team #907 monitoring
- Thursday, October 24: Pumpkin carving for Ghost Stories (English Landing Park; 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.)
- Saturday, October 26: Ghost Stories Set Up (8 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Note: All trails at the Parkville Nature Sanctuary will be closed beginning at 8 a.m.
- Sunday, October 27: Ghost Stories Clean Up (8 a.m. – 11 a.m.)
Note: The minimum age for the volunteer events is 13 years old.
If you are a Scout and are looking to complete an Eagle Scout Service Project please contact Parkville City Hall at (816) 741-7676.
Volunteer Meeting Schedule
Volunteer meetings are held the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm at Parkville City Hall, unless otherwise specified.
2019 Meeting Dates:
- August 27
- September 24
- October 22
- November 26
Friends of Parkville Nature Sanctuary
In 2015, the Friends of Parkville Nature Sanctuary (FOPNS) was founded as a 501(c)(3) to raise funds for projects at the Sanctuary. In the fall of 2018, the group launched its website: friendsofpns.org where visitors can view projects, purchase items or make a donation.
Robert Fluchel Memorial Butterfly Garden Commemorative Bricks
Friends of Parkville Nature Sanctuary is selling commemorative bricks that will be placed around the Robert Fluchel Memorial Butterfly Garden at the entrance to the sanctuary. Phase 2 of the fundraising project ends August 31st.
Application (PDF link)
2018 Photo Contest Note Cards
Friends of Parkville Nature Sanctuary created 5×7 inch note cards using images from the 2018 photo contest. The cards are blank inside with a short script on the back explaining the Sanctuary, the FOPNS group and the cover photo. Visit the FOPNS Store to purchase these cards.