The City of Parkville is pleased to announce that the Parkville Development Code Update received the Outstanding Implementation Award from the Missouri Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA). City staff was recognized at the October 17 Board of Aldermen meeting.
Each year, the Missouri Chapter of APA receives dozens of applications from around the state that exemplify great planning, best practices, state-of-the-art planning methods and advance the science and art in planning, demonstrate significant achievements and long-term, measurable results and ongoing implementation efforts.
The Outstanding Implementation Award category recognizes the effort that demonstrates a significant achievement in accomplishing positive changes as a result of planning. The award emphasizes long-term, measurable results. In order to receive the award, a plan must meet the following criteria:
- Originality and innovation – visionary approach or innovative concept to address needs;
- Effectiveness – how it addresses a need or problem that prompted its initiation;
- Overcoming challenges –what steps have been taken to build momentum and public support;
- Participation –how various public interests were involved and to what extent and clarify the role, significance and participation of planners; and,
- Achievement – describe how the longevity has increased the community’s pursuit of planning initiatives.
The plaque and decorative glass award were formally presented at APA Missouri’s 2023 Bi-State Conference to Community Development Director Stephen Lachky on October 12. There were a total of nine awards presented and one Brentwood, Missouri also received an Outstanding Implementation Award.
For more information, contact Community Development Director Stephen Lachky at (816) 741-7676.